Old 12-04-23, 10:09 AM   #65
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

5 April 1942
Resolution finished off; intel analysis concludes Formidable down as well

CENTPAC
I-26 torpedoed and sank the destroyer-transport Whipple overnight near Pago Pago. (Edit: Whipple survived)

Bay of Bengal
After attempting an intercept yesterday and missing, the heavy covering force led by Kongo and Haruna tracked down the Resolution, which was indeed off on her own. They finished her off with a long lance hit and plenty of 36cm fire. Resolution was mostly incapacitated prior to the engagement so she didn't get many shots off, scoring a single secondary battery hit on Haruna for inconsequential damage.

But there was another screwup on my part--I allowed Betties recently moving to Trincomalee to have naval attack missions, and once again forgot that he has small task forces on the mainland coast that were going to bait me. Between two small attacks that faced Hurricanes in large numbers, I lost 5 Zeroes and 9 Betties for no gain.

I didn't do the analysis until after the next turn, but might as well just say it now: I'm about 95% sure Formidable went down. Partly because with three torpedo hits, she shouldn't have been able to vacate the area quickly enough to evade me. But also, intel reported 3 Martlets destroyed "on the ground" sometime after 1 April, and I just failed to notice it at the time. We haven't actually destroyed any of these while bombing airbases, including the shelling of Columbo on April 1-so that appears to be confirmation that Formidable sank.

Reinforcements
Kisarazu Ku K-1 arrives at Chiba - 45 Nells for training/homeland defense
26th Air Flotilla arrives at Yokohama/Yokosuka - AirHQ unit. We could use another one of these in the Indian Ocean, I'd say.

Last edited by Molon Labe; 12-05-23 at 01:29 PM.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote