View Single Post
Old 09-16-22, 03:36 AM   #156
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default On B.d.U.-Staff as 1. Admiralstabsoffizier operativ (A I op) 'Geleitzugs-Asto'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Started new career in August 2019 to commemorate the beginning of WWII, 80 years before ...

+++++++

Tuesday, 15 September 1942 - Paris, Avenue Maréchal Maunoury

At 1130h, U 506 (Würdemann), U 507 (Schacht) and "Cappellini", have taken over survivors from U 156 (Hartenstein), and have lifeboats in tow, including some Englishmen and Poles. Boats were ordered to cut the lifeboats with the Englishmen and Poles loose. A position check showed that AF 7752 was the point where "Laconia" sank. New rendezvous with French ships in FE 9695 on 17.9.

U 159 (Witte) will join Group "Eisbär" instead of U 156 (Hartenstein). It is intended to supply this group in CG 1999 from 22 Sept.

12 British Boston bombers attack Cherbourg, France, sinking whaling factory ship "Solglint" in the harbor.

French submarine "Junon" lands 10 British commandos and 2 Norwegian soldiers at the village of Glomfjord, Norway, at 2115 hours.

Italian frogmen enter Gibraltar harbor and attach limpet mines on British ship "Ravens Point", causing her to sink in shallow water shortly after.

Allied forces attack Jalo, Libya, after sun down; Our tropps, who had learned of this attack, repulse the initial attack with ease.
Hans-Joachim Marseille shoots down four P-40 fighters and three Hurricane fighters between 1651 and 1702 hours, southwest of El Alamein, Egypt, bringing his score up to 151 kills.

Our troops make repeated assaults at the Mamayev Kurgan hill in Stalingrad; Heavy fighting causes heavy casualties on both sides. Elsewhere in the city, our infantry advance down the Tsaritsa River gorge, toward the Volga River.

RST
KvtKpt.& A I op
(convoy staff office)

Started new career in August 2019 to commemorate the beginning of WWII, 80 years before ...

+++++++

Wednesday, 16 September 1942 - Paris, Avenue Maréchal Maunoury

Despite large Red Cross flag, U 156 (Hartenstein) was bombed five times by an American "Liberator" type plane, while towing 4 full life boats. Both periscopes temporarily out of order. Submarine stopped rescue work and transferred all survivors to the boats. She was ordered to render no further assistance in any rescue attempts.
Once again, all submarines have been told that the safety of our own boats must not be endangered in any circumstances. If necessary, take any steps, even breaking off all rescue work. Only Italians are to be taken on board and they are to be handed over to the French at the pre-arranged rendezvous points.
As shown by the report from U 156, the Commanding Officer did not believe that the enemy would attack once he saw the Red Cross flag and the rescue attempts. This opinion is hard to understand. It must be assumed, that he was influenced by seeing hundreds of survivors fighting for their lives.

Japanese submarine I-29 sank British ship "Ocean Honour" in the mouth of the Gulf of Aden; 20 were killed, 33 survived.

369 British bombers attacked the Ruhr industrial region of Germany, damaging buildings (incl. a Krupp factory in Essen; 47 civilians killed), Bochum, Wuppertal, Herne and Cochem; 39 bombers were shot down during this night.

In Stalingrad, the Soviet NKVD rifle battalion stationed on Mamayev Kurgan hill, continues to fight off our attempts to take this high point.

Our 502nd Tank Battalion, stationed near Leningrad, receives the first batch of Tiger I tanks.

RST
KvtKpt.& A I op
(convoy staff office)