View Single Post
Old 09-12-22, 01:24 AM   #152
quickening58
Watch

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Soon starting a new career.....

Started SH4 a few months ago. WOW!! Been wondering for quite some time on what was available in WW2 Pacific sub ops. I was a big fan of the Silent Service series....almost 40 years ago?? Did some SH4 training this summer between other life commitments....and now have a slow fall winter ahead of me. Perfect
Finally started a career in Jan44 with a Gato. I posted this short story to anothers comment on shore batteries in the forum. Thought I'de post it here as my first patrol report. Of Patrol 3

"I'v seen and felt the shore batteries bite....it was a shocking surprise for sure" .....and a good newbie story

It was a wet and stormy night as we patrolled outside of Bungo Suido. Finally,with nothing coming out of the Bungo, we headed in at 8-9knots, cause we saw occasional radar returns up inside.
Kinda figured they were fishing boats.....but we had plenty of time to go in,and egress back out in deep water by sunrise. The rain and wind helped the insert trip,too.
Long story short, once up inside the "Big Lake", after sinking a small lonely tramper, then getting involved with chasing down one of many singles we had on radar, we found out our planned 12-14kt egress wasn't going to cut it, broke off the chase and started romping out of there out at 19-21kts No charging needed.. Passing the island guarding the entrance to the inner sanctum.....and damn if we weren't taking fire AND getting hit!! Took a few minutes to figure out where it was coming from. Still wet and windy---low viz, but I guess they could see our rooster tail Sure didn't see those batteries on the way in. Alot of zig zagging and off course turns later,we made it out ok Spent extra time on the surface attending to some damage when we got out.
Later...found a small convoy to play with and got Dc'd pretty good. Found out shortly afterwards with another convoy encounter, that you don't stay at 300ft for very long with 48% hull damage....and expect to come back up. Didn't make it home Its been an enlightening learning curve.

As my buddy Arne would say......I'll be back
quickening58 is offline   Reply With Quote