View Single Post
Old 05-26-11, 10:16 PM   #17
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
If ASUS backs the bigger CPU I'd go with it. You can't go wrong and it will safely will OC to 4gb's after warrenty runs out.

And by then you'll be an ole pro.

Don't worry about building your own rig. By your posts over time I've always been impressed with your common sense as well as humor.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. There's not much inside a desktop PC that I haven't tinkered with, taken out, put back in, replaced or upgraded, aside from the mobo and CPU. It's always been my policy not to be afraid of the machine, because... the machine will know.

In fact it's become a habit when I get a new rig, to set it all up and turn it on and then disassemble the old one right in front of it. SO IT KNOWS what happens when I am no longer happy with something.

Quote:
Spend $2.00 on a ground strap. Buy it locally and they'll show as well as explain it's worth for a newbe builder.
This sort of thingy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_wrist_strap

Quote:
As far as cases go there's so much variety, price and.......
Tell me about it, I think with that I'm gonna have to go to Microcenter and look at them in person. And take my measuring tape. It's just too hard to get a feel for anything like that from just a picture and list of specs.

Quote:
DOWNSIDE : Your family and friends will bug you to help them upgrade.
Oh, we're already there. Almost everyone I know in "real life" is a bigger n00b than I ever was. I have one friend who used to work as the IT help person at some company, but generally I'm the person who gets the phone calls.

Person who will remain nameless: "Uh, hi, howya doin'? Listen, I let my nephew put XP on my computer and I'm trying to run Windows Update and it's telling me that I may have an illegal copy of Windows and wants me to pay $XXX for a license. What should I do?"

Me: "I've met your nephew. Buy the license."
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote