View Single Post
Old 04-04-21, 01:27 PM   #59
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Ignoring the ugly looks and taking it for granted it offers sufficient functionality and reliability, I have one question: how long lives the battery? I do not mean range per charge, i mean: how long until the batteries must be replaced, how many years? How long until they have lost a pratcial usage range when fully charged (because evry battery looses maximum capacity it can hold from first charging-uncharging cycle on)? Because that is what decides the material reselling value of e-cars, and so far it is a total mess. Just three years ago replacing the batteries of a Smart costed almost as much as buying a new car. And new battery technology enters the car production cycles three to four times a year, more or less. The tech standard in them ages very fast. And that means: loss of reselling value. Also keep on mind Musk'S business motto: he has said that he does not want to offer software updates and firmware updates on and on, but that he demands Tesla customers to buy new cars with new kits rather sooner than later.

So much for ecology and sustainability.

Here in germany a Tesla recently drove into a tree. It immediately went up in flames, and exploded. The drivers escaped quite closely, with burnings and fractures. The fire brigade had to store the car submersed in an aqua tank for days because Tesla could not tell them how to extinguish the ongoing chemical fires in the battery compartment. I repeat: the car was kept fully submersed in water FOR DAYS.

Hydrogen cells, okay, in the long run count me aboard. Japan goes for that, China seems to head into it, so does Korea apparently, at least they run both ways currently. But this battery madness Europe voted for exclusively? Lithium, dirty mining for it, the ecological footprint of building batteries, the unsolved infrastructure issue? Not with me. Some time ago I read about a calculation - in ecological means - regarding Diesel cars and Lithium battery cars. They said that there is a net gain in advantages not before some higher six-digit km distance driven in the e-car. I forgot the exact number, 180 thousand is on my mind, but I do not swear on it. All the hype and hysteria - for THIS...??? Calculates very badly. Very, very badly.

But helps to de-industrialise the West, especially Germany, and bring down the national economy and burgeoise society model. And that is what many want.
This. No one wants to admit that all of today's "clean" electric cars use batteries whose production is extremely polluting and whose battery life is limited. One could possibly use batteries that allowed greater manual control of charging to extend battery life, but most consumers aren't going to measure cell voltages, take specific gravity measurements, perform an equalizing charge, etc. - and that is even assuming that such batteries had sufficient energy density to allow their use in passenger vehicles.

We might be better off pursuing LPG or CNG in passenger vehicles.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote