View Single Post
Old 01-04-23, 01:48 AM   #32
TheNolan
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibbyland View Post
I'm liking UBoat quite a lot. It does so many things I wished SH5 would but then in other areas I find myself wanting to go back to SH5 Wolves of Steel.

Like the above post said. The ability to inspect neutral shipping and the mission variety is really cool. I like the interaction with the crew and managing provisioning of the boat. I like that there's more to do on patrols than head to a point, submerge, check hydro then surface and repeat.

In saying that, I find Uboat a bit too easy and somehow less immersive than SH5 Wolves of Steel.

In WoS, I really felt like I was on the Uboat. The world felt much more alive with so many different types of vessels, and despite it being a much older game, I prefer the graphics and sounds of SH5 (although that could be nostalgia). I don't know what it is that WoS has that makes it more immersive for me. Maybe it's just the effort it takes to locate, stalk and target a convoy. The enigma part of WoS is awesome too.

However, as good as WoS is, it relies on ubisoft and ubisoft's stuff is so unreliable. Uboat is just so much more straightforward to run and when I play it I don't constantly worry about getting too close to an AI spawn point and breaking my game or worrying about the campaign not progressing. I miss WoS a lot but I'm resisting the urge to reinstall it and am embracing Uboat as my new go to.

Pretty much exactly how I feel about the game and SH5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
seeing that most of my attacks are on the surface at night from within just a few hundred yards i cannot say i have experienced this.
Very nice, this is how the aces racked up their big tonnages if I understand correctly. On a moonless night move into the convoy on the surface from behind. Once you are within ~ 3 or 4 km your conning tower appears below the horizon from the deck of a transport or destroyer, against the black backdrop of the ocean you are practically invisible. Attack from point blank range inside the convoy, then dive hard and escape. I didn't think Uboat's simulation was this good, will have to give it another try.
TheNolan is offline   Reply With Quote