View Single Post
Old 12-20-22, 02:33 AM   #62
Gwenydd
verrückt kaleun

Downloads: 143
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Woo... OK, I'm trying to avoid a reply that looks like a twelve paragraph thesis.

For the record, I have ZERO experience with bow planes. Both of the boats I was on ran fairwater planes and fairwaters don't effect trim, they only provide linear up/down movement.

Anyway, when the boat is on the surface (rigged for surface) the planes tend to get locked at a certain amount of upward trim. This makes the hull more efficient in terms of how it planes through the water. In other words, you want the bow to be riding high. When you dive, you want the boat to remain mostly level. I was wondering if you could program your planes for a surfaced condition?
Ah I see what you mean. I don't need to worry about that. My boat is set up so that the forward dive planes are used to primarily control depth and the rear dive planes to primarily control the pitch of the boat. Each set of planes has a controller board connected to the servos for it. The aft plane controller board automatically controls the planes to keep the boat in a level attitude unless I override it with control inputs. While the forward plane controller board uses a barometric pressure sensor connected to a hose that samples outside water pressure. The board automatically controls the forward planes to hold the depth last commanded with the forward plane controls.

If you look at the waterline on the type VII U-boat you see that the bow is naturally riding a bit high when the waterline on the boat matches the actual waterline - and that is the pitch level the aft planes will seek.

Makes sense?

PS - Hope you enjoyed my test flight videos.

Last edited by Gwenydd; 12-20-22 at 03:02 AM.
Gwenydd is offline   Reply With Quote