View Single Post
Old 06-19-15, 09:08 PM   #64
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Yeah, exactly. Politically Correct people are deadset against labeling someone like the Ft. Hood shooter a "terrorist" but are falling all over themselves to get someone like this Charleston shooter labeled a terrorist. I think we all agree that the guy who shot up the Charleston church is a murderer, a criminal. From what I read, he was motivated to kill because of racist views. He's a racist mass murderer. Terrorist? Yeah, sure, like Timothy McVeigh. He's widely seen as a terrorist.

Back during the Waco biker shootout, someone here complained "why are these guys not called "thugs"". Why are only black saggy-pants inner-city hood rats called thugs? Me personally, I think of biker types who commit criminal acts as brutes. I would never call a gang-banger a brute, that's a thug.

Bruce Jenner is now a woman, so I have to refer to him as her.... if I see rioters I have to use a PC correct term for them, etc...

I'm tired of people telling me what to think, what I have to call this and that.
I think the thing that ticks me off the most, really, is over-generalisation. The assumption that just because someone is x, they are therefore y. (Muslim - Terrorist, Black guy - Thug, German - Nazi, etc).
In regards to Bruce Jenner being a woman now and the whole gender fluidity situation, that's something that your and even my generation is never going to click with. The next generation or two will gradually accept it as the norm, but we will struggle with the changes. It's like the novel 'The Forever War', Mandella struggles to fit in with the new Earth he has returned to after dealing with time dilation on his way home from the frontlines.
I'm not as PC as people seem to think I am (just ask HunterICX), I would say that I'm a PC Special Constable rather than a PC Policeman, but one must also remember that I am a generation different to a fair few people here. I was brought up in a more liberal society (despite living through the Thatcher years) than my predecessors were, and they in turn were born into a more liberal society than their predecessors. Alvin Toffer wrote a book which became a term to describe this fear of rapid change, 'Future shock', and I think that it's something that people of the generation born between the 1940s and 1970s are probably dealing with. Even I, born in the 1980s, suffer a degree of it, you should see the mess I make trying to operate a smart phone, and the whole way that people can track you down online and hound you into submission through cyber-bullying terrifies me.
Sometimes though, people with good intentions do go a tad overboard, sometimes this is because they're preparing for a fight and when one doesn't happen they kind of go off anyway. I have in the past reacted over-defensively on a subject, primarily since I've expected more people to disagree with me than actually did. A form of turtling perhaps.
But well, that is how it goes, times do change, and everyone will always have their particular era that they will think of when 'times were better' and 'summers were long', and so forth.

In short:
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote