View Single Post
Old 08-12-06, 04:21 AM   #62
Schpeedy
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Neat stuff with the nav aids to intercept the ship, I'll click around on that stuff more often. Thanks.

The measurements and attack run...
Ya lost me on the part that shows the ships on the tactical map.
With full realism on, there are no ships on tactical map...???

Lets turn it around pls... I'll ask question and u answer :P

The range I can get from my officer if I'm on the surface.
I then use the mast measuring thing to get the same answer that the officer said.
At close range, say 600meters... getting the range is easier still.
I push the pause button when the scopes center horizontal line is on at the water line and i then click the master measure thing and I get a reading.

The angle and speed of the target is where i get messed up.
So the target is say 1000meters away, from mast/officer method.

I then put a guestimate for the angle on bow, sometimes using the ships book.
Now for the speed... the problems...
Lets suppose that the angle on bow is 45degrees.
I then start my speed reading timer...
By the time that even a minute goes by, the ship might some 25degrees off.
Which 'angle on bow' do I want? The angle at start, middle, or finish of my speed timer???
Also... if my uboat is moving... does that throw off the reading entirely?
I got a reading of 15knts on a ship that I was running parallel to and I wasn't even doing 15knts when I got ahead of it.

Only way to really get the targets speed that I can see, is run a parallel course for awhile, which is not easy to do.
Only way to run a parallel course to a ship, is trail it for a long time so that we know we are exactly behind the ship, and heading in the same direction of the ship. Now we would know the course to try to parallel the ship. We catch up to a side of the ship, run a parallel course, and finally, change our own speed untill the ship doesn't move in our crosshairs... The ships speed would be the same as our speed.

The angle on bow again for the firing... do we want the angle on bow to be the reading when we fire the torpedo... or the angle on bow for when the torpedo will hit the ship? Or somewhere in the middle? (considering that at close range, this value changes rapidly.)
Schpeedy is offline   Reply With Quote