Old 02-17-21, 12:54 AM   #2759
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The Gato is "alive" on 1942-03-04, aka 3rd March, 1942. Taking it before that date is chancey (chancie??). OK sprellenChekker - "Risky"... The earliest place to get one "legal" near that date is Mare Island in the v1.39 two days later. The boat goes active at Pearl on tax day 15th April, 1942. You'll be able to use Fremantle after 1st July, 1942, Brisbane 1st of December, 1942. Not available at Dutch Harbor, and goes active at Midway 20th April, 1942. You do have to allow travel time from Fremantle, so I would be curious to know what date you came in and docked at Fremantle? The Tambor isn't available at Fremantle until May of 1942, so did you maybe get it early also? Are you sure maybe you weren't at Brisbane somehow? You really should have stayed at Fremantle for the Gato... There are missions for the Gato at all of the home ports, from just after the start of the war, just in case you do get one early though, so the Gato is relatively safe to take early, but probably better if you don't. Your case though... I'll so some digging into this though. As KaleunMarco says, you should be able to transfer just about anywhere... But I'd only go with Brisbane, Fremantle, Midway or Pearl for now... too many "gotchas" hiding in the Advance Bases just yet...
Ok, can tell you, that with patrol 6, that I pulled in near the end of 11/42. The date of My being in the office, after docking, accepting the new boat, was Nov. 27th, of '42... before I went to start patrol 7... so My getting the 'Gato', was not a case of getting it too early. Can rest your nerves on that aspect, propbeanie, ol' chap...

On the aspect of the Tambor... can see of looking more into that & see what the date for it was... & report back on that... Think that was like.. sometime around May-July of '42... as I started off in the Sargo with 12/41 start as per normal. Normal being like the 8th or 9th of Dec. right after the attack on Pearl. I know of doing at least 2 if not 3 patrols in the Sargo, then got the message of getting a new boat offer... but no later than the 3rd patrol... as best as I can recollect right off hand.

Really miss being able to start the week before (roughly) with fred8615's Pre Pearl mod... but.. *sighs* it is what it is... unless y'all would like to investigate it's inclusion into FotRS.. no pressure or rush.. just something to consider, as to give the option to start right before the attack at Pearl.

post edit...

Ok, checked & was right after patrol 3, end date of 04/30/42 new command 05/01/42... Tambor class boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That little drop-down "Messages Received" "Messages Sent" "All Messages" box on that clipboard has fooled more than one skipper, let me tell ya... Did you notice that "Radio Report Received: Friendly small group..."? Those are from the groups reporting from their configurations, that come across as radio reports.
Yeah, as well as noticing numerous reports of 'neutral groups' (either task forces or convoys... as the case would be, as well.. but... come to think of it... have yet to really see any convoy's to speak of.. unless ya count 4 merchies as a convoy...

Do remember seeing when I tried running in an S class, of a sort of convoy near Manilla, that I ran into.. 1/2 warships & 1/2 merchie's... 1st run in with them... got orders to sink the merchie's.. only... the 2nd time I attempted a career in a 'sugar' boat.. when I ran into that self same group.. the orders came in attack & sink whatever... as I recall...

Long/short of it.. both times I ended up fish food, along with the crew... (S class, is not easy.. & I tip Me hat to the guys who did so, back then... mucho respecto... )

I sorta... had it slip My ol' beat up, dusty, cob web ridden rusty hd of a brain pan, to remember to manually change the setting to all messages...

chalk it up to.. a brain fart moment...

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 02-17-21 at 01:08 AM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote