View Single Post
Old 07-20-07, 11:22 AM   #56
EAST
Sparky

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

The modding thing has always made me laugh. Nearly everyone who complains about it not being moddable never looked into it.

Most people don't know that it is extensively moddable. Adding new ship models is even possible (we added the Iron Duke and a mini-sub after the fact for another project we were trying to do - all from a definition file), the models just needed to be submitted to us for conversion to the render engine's proprietary format. We have a full range of ship types defined in the engine. You want to add a new class: pick the type that most closely matches it and all you need is a model converted for it. These definitions are all done in a data file. We even provided a ship creation viewer for testing the ship profiles with your parameters.

Without our help the following could be changed:

All missions - this includes the ability to change pre-knowledge by the AI of a players position.
All Campaigns - maps, events, avi's etc. all are moddable in a set of definition files. (including the ability to add new ones, replace the existing ones).

text and voice reponses/tags, titles, etc.

all vehicles and weapons are skinnable (We even released a free model viewer to see your skins).

all effects are data driven and the datafiles could be changed
All sky, weather and ocean parameters are scripted and can be changed

The gui graphics could be changed, but not much because of a lot of hard coding. same with the ingame Hud.

Weapon and Ship parameters (speeds, tonnage, weapons and weapon placement, damage, audio, etc.) can all be changed.

The weapon to ship relationships could be modified also (AA guns are more dangerous to a PT boat than a Destroyer for example).

There are even tools available for creating the new missions and campaigns, unpacking and repacking our resource files, etc.

Once we finish the legal wrangling we'll release a no-cd patch that includes a new batch of missions that we created with these community created tools.

Seems that lots of simmers decided they didn't like it very early on and so didn't bother to try and modify it to do more of what they wanted: it wasn't AOD or SH(x) I guess.