View Single Post
Old 08-26-12, 05:46 AM   #26
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Thanks, Haplo, I fear I chased you around a bit over my own messing up of words: when I said "format", I indeed meant "repartition" the HD. That's what I did, dissolving all three partitions, I am just irritated that this process is so very quick under W7 and with this 18 months old hardware, under XP and with a years old rig the process of partitioning the whole HD easily took 40 minutes or so.

I interrupt after partitioning and immediately before Windows installs, by cutting power, waiting, and then starting new. By this I hope to kill any bugger that hides in RAM where it moved while partitioning is going one. I learned that some sophisticated malware have ther ablity to do so, or even can jump from one part of the HD to another while partitioning is in process. Maybe I am paranoid, but when you already go for the dance anyway, then dance all the way, eh?

I have introduced a second account, from which to run Internet surfing exclusively, with tight browser settings. Can I set that account separately for a sandbox that you mentioned ? I do not think I fully understood how to establish it, but maybe I had a slow brain day when reading about it.

And once again my Logitech Mouse and keyboard giove me troubles, Logitech is fine in hardware, but a terrible mess in customer support and software and drivers. I think they are rich snobs whpo have so much money already that they do not need to care for offering attractiove and easy-to-handle software solutions for paying customers. Setpoint cannot be ionstalled. Hell, their downloads are not even properly indexed and their textboxes when something failed do not even contain any words! Strange advice is rumoured: that their driovers do not install properly from behind a firewall or if you have not logged a support account. What? I need to create a full account with mandatory real world adress and tel-number to get them supporting the software mess I payed money fort to get delivered? That is called support these days?

Maybe they recruit from staff that gets fired over at Microsoft. They should outcource software developement and support, and limit themselves to make hardware exclusively.