View Single Post
Old 05-23-23, 05:19 PM   #3
Kpt. Weyprecht
Gunner

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Greqt videos! I subscribed right away and am eagerly waiting for the next episodes. Also; you had some incredible luck in this campaign. Perhaps unrelated, but I am still amazed at how great this game can look despite it's age. The night skies in your last videos are just gorgeous (and I don't think I've seen anything like this).

Back to the point, I was really thinking more of broad tactics than of torpedo techniques. The USN Submarine Fire Control Manual says one should have a clear image of the situation and a plan of the attack before the target gets within 6000 yards. I struggle to do this, my ranging is really bad beyond 6000-5000 yards. It's actually ll about this "periscope eye" that is the trademark of real submarine skippers and lack thereoff eliminates Perisher candidates, aggravated by the flat computer screen.

Following several targets requires a lot of time and attention, especially when 80% of your gaming time had been expanded on watching your sub roam a patch of empty sea.

I know we are trying to do individually what a whole team would do in real life (still, in old British boats, H-type if my memory is good, the captain actually was his own navigator, Ben Bryant refers to this as a great learning experience).
This makes me think: are there any Royal Navy references besides the Admiralty Navigation manual available online?

PS: I never expected this thread to end up featrured on Subsim's front page. Thanks, Onkel Neal!
Kpt. Weyprecht is offline   Reply With Quote