Old 08-31-22, 10:41 AM   #255
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinmar View Post
I loved the look of Dark waters but could never get it to work.
A few... questions, if you will, zinmar...

1. Source of SH 4.?

2. Where were you installing it, as this makes a... BIIIG difference.

Going with the default drop/install of it (much less, any of the SH sims, for that matter... imo, any game, for that matter... ) should never... NEVER EVER... be installed to \Program file (either the normal one or the (x86) folder... EVER.... did I mention ever... )

This is Window's rabid attack guard dawg's pit bull area.... & it don't like you tampering or mucking about with folders & files in its domain, even after you tell it you can & will do so... ever.

Depending on your source of it there... really depends on how you approach the means & methodology of how you go about doing your install.

If it is with Steam, there is a method I found, to do more than 1 copy of SH4 & still retain the original install... in prime virgin status.

3. Once installed... you did run it once, so as to finalize its set up, yes...?

This is crucial, & just asking as I recall one user that failed to do so... they got a bit... gung ho iguana, in wanting to get to it & in that haste, well... yeah...

4. Once ran for that 1st time, did you go into SH4's .exe properties, & change it from read only to where the .exe, was capable of being overwritten... again, as with the above... about running it for the 1st time... this is of MAJOR import... & must be ensured, so as to avoid... issues.

5. Did you use JSGME, in getting OM: DW's set up...

JSGME, is your friend, as it allows you to back out changes to the stock copy of SH4 that you use to add the mod (or any other mods, for that matter... ) to it, generally, returning the stock copy, to a pristine condition.

Note: Not often, buuuutttt... every once in a blue moon, the stock can get fouled up... even with using JSGME to back out the mods.

Best advice here... & this is something that even I have done... is after doing that initial install & after having ran SH4, that 1st time... I have a snap shot of the entirety of the SH4 folder... as a backup copy, so as to know just what folders & files to set to the side, just in case... so if I have to do a refresh of the guts... well... I know what should stay... & what should go.

Just remember where you set those removed items, in case you're looking to reset things back up... not to mention, tuck that snapshot, as well.... so you know where it is, when & if... you need it.

I strongly advocate, using JSGME, in adding in mods, rather than Frankenstein'ing them in... as if anything goes wrong, then you'll have to end up stuffing all of that work into the rear tube & consigning it to... the briny deep... which is never a good thing. The more you do to avoid having to... the better off you are... savvy...

5. Going to touch on this briefly, but... just in the off chance you're looking to run more than 1 mod set up of SH4... then I highly recommend using MultiSH4. This nifty gadget, allows you to set up that mod mix's own game saves folder... well away from the stock virgin copy of SH4's own save folder...

If all you're looking to do is run that 1 copy, then... can bypass that.

6. Did you use either a 4GB patch kit or Large address aware, on the modded SH4.exe, by chance.?

The patch kit, tells your computer that 'hey window's dummy... this game/sim, has the right to have full, unfettered access to 4 gigs of RAM... got it, dummy. NOT that it may ever use all 4 of those gigs, just that it has access to them, if necessary.

Same with LAA, to Me, LAA is just... easier to set up. 3 steps & bam... done.

Both are aimed at your SH4's .exe, just to be clear, if that wasn't already...

Ok, now... with your, experiences with it... just what about it was the issue... exactly, in 'not getting it to work', by chance.?

Would you mind... clarifying that & expounding on that, a bit more than... just wouldn't work... if you would... thanks. The more info known the better it makes for looking at it & seeing what can be done to rectify it & get you up & running, 'ship shape'...

M. M.