View Single Post
Old 06-06-22, 08:46 PM   #14
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

OK, some quick photos to keep Neil happy.
These photos aren't mine, I borrowed them from my die cast source.

The 2011 GT 350.

Exhaust tips are now chromed. The brake rotors have been detailed with a brighter silver and dark gray wash.

Note the three gauges above and to the left of the steering wheel. They now have black-and-red over white gauge faces and chrome trim ring bezels. I also added some detail painting to the driver's and center consoles.

The engine bay looks better in person. Mine is slightly different than the one pictured. I have the Mustang logo on my grille and no Shelby plate on the radiator shroud. Notice the towers for the front shocks. They look lonely just sitting there.

The engine bay of the newly-arrived red donor mule. The brace between the shock towers has already been transferred to the GT 350, where it looks more appropriate. This is actually a fairly nice die cast and the only reason I got it (cheap) on a close-out was due to some "packaging rash" on the right front fender. Its about the size of a stone chip on a 1:1 car so with a little color matching, polishing, and buffing it will be fixed. I was really tempted to steal the center gauge console and the rear GT logo for the Shelby but I'll leave them alone.

Nice interior details in the red GT which I will NOT be stealing for the Shelby. This model also features cloth seat belts and P/E buckles. I already have a belt kit for the Shelby so the red 'Stang can provide location info.

Bonus die cast- I knew this die cast was "out there" for many years and I finally pulled the trigger and bought one. For most of you, its a Maisto Datsun 240Z in orange but this car has a different meaning if you were an ET on the USS Bremerton.

This is the infamous "ESM Datsun", aka The Hotel Street Express.

Todd bought it when it was well on its way to "beater" status from "some guy in Pearl" who was on his way back to the mainland. Todd later sold it to Dan who later sold it to Mike who later sold it (I think?) to Jim after I had left. After that, I'm pretty sure it got buried on a beach but not before many nubs got their first ride from the airport to check out the boat. The hub caps on the 'cast aren't right. Its a foggy memory, but I'm pretty sure they were gnarly chrome or "somewhere in the barracks". At one point I can recall some cheap plastic "looks just like BBS" wheel covers getting pressed into service but the ESM Datsun would change slightly from owner to owner. One other addition was the badges on the B pillars. We could buy ET2 painted crows and chevrons on a Navy blue plastic base that would pin to the collar of your blue A2 jacket. They were quickly re-purposed and epoxied to the Datsun.

Interior detail- Hey, its a Maisto but now you know why I was checking out how to paint wood grain. The industrial orange color is close but it just doesn't feel "right". Maybe some fading and rust will help? I also need to print some Hawaiian license plates.

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote