View Single Post
Old 05-07-22, 06:26 PM   #12
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

There are many people who swear by Future for their clear parts or to clear coat a glossy finish.

I keep a bottle on the shelf to do my floors.

Future was never meant to be permanent. It was meant to be floor wax and while it is an acrylic, it is a VERY weak acrylic that levels well and dries quickly.
If you were hoping for something permanent, it will yellow out over time or turn cloudy. Keep in mind, when you watch a build video on YouTube you never see the kit after a year or even six months. Those builds only need to stay together until the video uploads.

In my experience, its better to learn how to polish clear plastic or apply a true clear coat over paint or finish with a coat of wax. If you have a clear part that looks distorted, Future isn't going to fix much. If you use Future to "tack" a part in place before you use something more permanent to glue it, fine and dandy. Just don't expect it to hold up.

I have a 1/350th scale Flight III Los Angeles class sitting on the shelf that I built back around 2010. It has two guys standing on the deck that are STILL there and haven't gone AWOL in a carpet, somewhere. I glued them in place by dipping their feet in rubber cement then sticking them to the hull before the glue dried *. The only thing I changed was adding a 3D printed Annular ("wagon wheel") screw. Nothing has fallen off the kit.

Acrylic paint is not the same as a dip in Future. Paint is slightly thicker and is designed to hold up over a long period.

*- The whole idea of using rubber cement was that it wasn't as permanent as regular glue. I have two trees of 1/350th scale figures and if I lost one of them, I wouldn't have to chip a pair of shoes off the hull.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote