View Single Post
Old 10-17-22, 11:27 PM   #5078
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Are you insinuating that official USN-issued clothing is "funny", mister?... - I am going to guess you are referring to the N3 caps some of the deck and interior crew are sporting, in addition to their canvas caps, officer's caps & helmets?

If there is a way found to "date" them, we will do it, because technically, they didn't show-up on submarines until mid 1943. Here's a little site for reference, http://www.usww2uniforms.com/USN_N3_Utility_Cap.html set to the N3 page. In the FotRSU modded game itself, you will see a couple of "loading" images of real life US submarines with crewmen wearing the N3 hats. Almost all of the gun crew people have the hats, unless you go to Battle Stations, and they will then don their USN issued combat helmets. Most of the watch crew will also wear them, but there are some that do like their canvas hats. The CPOs like their officer-style hats, so most of them keep those, while about half of the officers will wear the N3. The interior crew is variable, in that the game grabs what it wants of the "inventory", so you'll see a lot of hats one time, then the next, no hats whatsoever. You could also watch most any of the Silent Service TV series on ToobYu and see the hats, such as at 1:04 of this one, with "Bones" as the CO... lol

btw, pay no attention to the Spearfishes conn there in 1942... it's a double-cut MS32... kind of like SH4...

If you happen to be seeing a canvas hat shining through a helmet, or an N3, or any combination of hats, let me know what boat you have, where you sailed from, and what the date is please. I'm relatively certain we almost have the doubled hats stamped out... maybe.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote