Old 07-27-22, 08:11 PM   #2386
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
When it comes to submarine memorials...
Reaaly weird: one of my ATM techs actually served on the USS Hawkbill(666) which he referred to as "the devilfish"! Apparently submariners all have the same sense of decidedly fatalistic irreligious humor: U-666's first conning tower emblem as opposed to my own avatar (#2): sunk with all hands: Feb 10,1944
Its the wrong thread, but the Hawkbill used to moor just a couple of spots down the pier from the Bremerton and I got to know some of her crew.

The popular story those guys liked to tell (I give it 50/50 odds that it was true) involved a sailor who got a postcard from his old Minister from back home. He was visiting Honolulu and wondered if he could get a tour of the guy's sub. The sailor got approval from the command for a (non nuclear) tour of the boat and met his old Minister at the main gate. He walked the Minister down to SUBASE and then out to the pier.

The first thing the Minister notices is the 666 on the gang plank. The sailor shows him how to come down the ladder and takes the Minister to Control to show him around. The next thing the Minister sees is a placard near sonar that says DEMON. In another corner he sees another placard next to the navigation hardware that says SINS. At that point the Minister decided to take his chances topside and left the boat.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote