View Single Post
Old 11-26-22, 04:45 PM   #638
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

16 August 1943
9th Marines surrenders at Ponape; close call for HMS Victorious; USS Mingo lost -- Enemy CVBG approaching Yorktown CVBG

DEI
The barges apparently came back to Ambon. One hit a mine and sank.

Japan
USS Mingo attempted to attack an enemy ASW group but bit off more than it could chew. After missing the kaibokan Wakataka, its sister ship Kuretake detected the Mingo and prosecuted it with deadly accuracy. Mingo was forced to surface and eventually gunned down by PBs operating with the kaibokans. Kuretake took a rather serious hit from Mingo's deck gun in the process, but battle scars build character.

Burma
Another Japanese sub approached the landing area, this time firing a spread of torpedoes at HMS Victorious, which all thankfully missed. The sub was prosecuted and moderately damaged by the destroyers Rotherham and Norman. This was a rather large, durable sub and was able to take quite a bit of punishment without going down.

SouthPAC
USS Nautilus torpedoed and sank a light cargo ship near Ponape.
Nicks attempted to interfere with our B-24 raids, but this time instead of having Hellcats sweep Ponape, I had a few on patrol. They shot down 2 Nicks and prevented the loss of any bombers.

Of course, Yorktown's SBDs stayed on the deck for another day. The air support provided by the B-24 raids proved insufficient, as the reinforced enemy garrison overran the 9th Marine's defensive positions and forced a surrender.

A fleet including a battleship and 3 fleet carriers is was spotted by Catalinas moving east towards Ponape. It appears they're going after what they think is the Essex operating alone, not knowing the Yorktown and 3 CVLs have taken her place.

Assuming the report is accurate and that's the Akagi, Zuikaku, and Shokaku, that would probably be 81 Fighters and 135 dive/torpedo bombers. The Yorktown battle group by herself has 70 Hellcats, 35 SBD-5s, and 72 Avengers. Almost even. But, there's a spot in the Marshalls that's about a day's run for Yorktown-II, Lexington-II, and Essex where they can all meet up. So as long as we can prevent a strike happening too early tomorrow, my matchup would be more like 142 Hellcats, 107 SBDs, and 108 Avengers. Personally, I don't expect him to chase. But if he does, maybe I'll finally get a carrier battle that goes my way.

Last edited by Molon Labe; 11-26-22 at 05:45 PM.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote