View Single Post
Old 06-21-22, 12:59 AM   #5
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senf-Man82 View Post
Hell yeah, awsome! Are you able to put other ships into SH4 too? Can you show me how? I've been longing to have some models of such detail in this game for years:
- Myoko
- Admiral Graf Spee
- Gearing class
- Scharnhorst & Bismarck/Tirpitz
- SMS Seydlitz

- late war Fletcher (square bridge like USS Kidd)
- Arleigh Burke

I'd even pay cash for it, if that would help to motivate! If someone could show me how, I'll start myself.
There is a website that has most 3D models from the game, and for a small donation you can get access to them. I won't put a direct link because I don't know how OK it is with SubSim rules, but it is quite easy to find in Google.

Then you have to split the model in parts, because usually they're too high-polyed for the game engine to handle them in one piece. Apart from that, the game needs some parts to be detached to work properly (guns, propellers or rudder, for example). You should use a 3D editing program like Blender, Wings3D or similar. I use Misfit Model 3D, because it was recommended back then by people that used to create ships here in SubSim, and it was simple enough for a noob like me to use.

Once you have the model properly in parts, you need Silent 3Ditor (or S3D) to put them into the game. For a start you should open a few stock ships with S3D, to get an idea on how a Silent Hunter ship is "on the inside".

These are just simple tips, since I don't have the skills to write a full tutorial. I suggest you to surf the SubSim forums looking for interesting threads, as I did myself when I had the itch to add more ships to the game. Don't forget to check the SH3 forum as well, since the way of building a ship is basically the same for both SH3 and SH4.

A must-read is the S3D thread, where the creator explains a lot of stuff about the program and Silent Hunter.

Another interesting read: a backup of the (now defunct) original S3D website, where skwas (the creator of S3D) has a number of documents and tutorials explaining stuff.