View Single Post
Old 02-14-19, 05:59 PM   #22
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

BRIDGE OPERATIONS

The bridge is not merely a place to view nice harbours, but to assess a tactical picture.

When I operate on the bridge, I have several responsibilities as follows:

-Departure. When departing a harbor, even when using a harbour pilot, I am surveying my surroundings. I never use TC in harbour, and ready to take control over from the pilot in case of emergency. The watch crew has one job... to seek out immediate threats. So while they search their sectors, I am searching merchant shipping we pass by, for suspicious cargo, or people. Spys are everywhere.

-In Transit. While in transit and I am on bridge, I scan the horizon as well as the clouds. I have had enemy air pass over without TC dropping to 1! If I have orders to give, I go through Dieter almost exclusively. He is my 2WO and deserves that respect. All orders to Chief, Navigator, and Radioman go through him.

-Deckgun. I try my hardest to only allow the deck crew to man this weapon. The commanders place is to be at the tower to observe shot placements. This also allows me to keep the tactical picture around me maintained, as the tower blocks your view of the stern when on deck near the deckgun.

-Marking. While on the bridge, it is a good idea to mark significant features on the navigation map, such as mines you spot in the water, enemy coastal points of interest, or even buoys that mark entry points into sounds and coves like Scapa Flow.

I try not to use TC while on bridge. If a plane comes out of nowhere, you still have to get off bridge before you can dive. I suggest you do not go onto the bridge unless necessary, but while you are on the bridge, be of good use and do proper watch standing.

Watch standing was a serious post. The transit to and from a patrol zone can be boring, but it can present threats and concerns your watch crew are not aware of.

Last edited by bstanko6; 03-07-19 at 02:38 PM.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote