View Single Post
Old 01-18-21, 04:45 PM   #1
Urduk
Nub

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Icon7 Torpedo boats not firing torpedoes?

Hello everyone! A long time fan of SH3, reading a book on WW2 naval history really made me want to play it again. But I got bored pretty fast with the constant crew babysitting.

Soon after I got a recommandation for UBOAT on Steam and it looked really cool even if still in early access. A few hours later, it was discounted at 50% so it was a no-brainer.

I started playing this afternoon, I really enjoyed the tutorial and played two missions after that. After an easy patrol, I chose to raid the port of Cardiff. Not yet familiar with the mechanics, I wasn't really discreet, I just waited the night to go in, went full surface, avoided the nets and the mines and spotted 4 merchants ships, a corvette and a destroyer.

I intended to torpedo both warships and destroy the rest with the deck gun. But, after the warships sank, I was quite surprised to see 4 torpedo boats storm in from nowhere. The most surprising was their tactics, I was pretty sure I would be dead in seconds, lying immobile on the surface, I gave the order to dive while waiting for the torpedoes to hit and sink me. But the torpedoes never came. Instead they tried to ram my ship, causing moderate damage while sinking themselves in the process.

So I wonder, can the torpedo boats really fire torpedoes and their inability to do so this time is somehow linked to the restricted space and time they had to target me or are they completely useless so far, just like their homologues of SH3?

I was pretty surprised to be able to repair the damage then taking my time to sink the remaining merchants who where patiently waiting their turn and being able to get back to base without being pursued by a destroyer or a plane. A bit anticlimactic but the game really looks promising nonetheless!

I just found out about the subsim community by browsing SH3 community hub and I'm really happy I did. I always played vanilla SH3 and it seems like I missed a lot!

Thrilled to join the community of Subsim, thanks for having me and really sorry about my poor english proficiency...

Last edited by Urduk; 01-18-21 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Urduk is offline   Reply With Quote