View Single Post
Old 09-19-17, 03:46 PM   #1031
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Outlook security patches intentionally break custom forms

Microsoft has realized the obvious. The simplest way to make a system safe is to render it inoperative. The latest Outlook security patch makes any Visual Basic script printing routines cease working. Sounds reasonable to me, saving paper is a most noble goal and Microsoft is making that possible.

However, it strikes me that some people might WANT the form to print when you push the print button. As a matter of fact I'll be a large plurality of people expect to be able to print things.

Quote:
Those of you who have installed any of this month’s Outlook security patches:

Outlook 2007 KB 4011086
Outlook 2010 KB 4011089
Outlook 2013 KB 4011090
Outlook 2016 KB 4011091
will have to dive into the Registry if you want to enable any custom form scripts, including the VBScript printing capability. It’s complicated, and the method varies, depending on which version of Office you’re using and the bittedness of Windows and Office. Diane Poremsky has detailed instructions on her Slipstick Systems site.
I can't make this stuff up, folks. My imagination has no capacity to keep up with Microsoft's ability to do stupid things.

Imagine. The free competition is good enough that the vast majority of people don't care whether they use Outlook or Thunderbird. If you prefer Outlook it is probably because you like to customize the way it works with Visual Basic scripts. So Microsoft's smooth move is to render your precious scripts inoperative.

Sounds like it comes from the marketing department to me!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote