Old 05-11-10, 09:52 PM   #10
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomfreak777 View Post
Torpedos:

Can any of the torpedos be switched to magnetic detonation? I see on the firing solutions map where you can change everything you can choose between impact and magnetic, does this mean any torpedo can be used magnetically?

If so am I able to still use the automatic targeting through the attack scope, i.e. can I go to the firing solutions screen, switch the pistol to magnetic, maybe change its depth and then go back to the periscope and fire it?
Yes, any of them can be set to magnetic detonation although, to be more accurate, the pistols are impact only, or impact/magnetic. Impact only will only detonate if they hit, while impact/magnetic (in the game that's just straight magnetic) will detonate either by hitting the target (impact) or passing underneath a steel hull (magnetic).

In reality switching from one pistol to the other required having the torpedo out of the tube in order to reach the nose of the torpedo where the pistol/fuze assembly is located. It wasn't something toggleable back and forth while the torpedo was loaded in its tube.

Here's a pic of a WWII German torpedo pistol:

schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote