View Single Post
Old 01-02-22, 04:32 AM   #44
MantiBrutalis
Planesman

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0

Recently got into UBOAT, and while there are definitely things still missing or wrong, it is so impressive coming from a team of... 3?... people.

Cons:
Nowadays, we don't accept people just popping up in places (like in SH3), and because they don't in UBOAT, some of the hard to do things show up. It is nice that sailors move about, do tasks, switch shifts and so on, but a lot of the harder things to do are noticeable - too few sailors (acceptable simplification, the 3D models would not be happy), no-one is rushing up the tower after surfacing, noone ever really runs, things like that.
The boat physics are a little off. Not enough tilt when going up/down, when surfacing it bobs up awkwardly...
Sinking physics are just... so fast. Ships mostly just disappear in seconds.
The gunnery is unfinished, hopefully. Flak feels awful, deck gun has no ballistics, just point and click.
No hedgehogs and enemy torpedoes yet, afaik.
The enemy AI could do with some work.
No TDC
Some of the UI needs work
Some unhistorical elements here and there
Some of the things I'd want are just unexpectable of a 3 people team. This is a small game.

Pros:
Mods can make it a lot more complex and/or fix some of the cons (TDC, sinking, etc.)
The boat feels alive. People do tasks, load torpedoes, clean floors, cook... The cut-out view is amazing!
Funnel smoke sightings, contrail sightings, glorious...
Modeled leaks, compressors, bilges, pumps...
I like the combined map/3D view, honestly
Some of the missions/side missions are a bit janky, but it's a welcome change from "Go to this square, then come back"
You get to check neutral ships for contraband!

Who cares if the jackets are the wrong shade of grey, or if watchmen stand in the wrong place. Will this game surpass SH3? It already has, in my eyes. UBOAT gets two thumbs up from me.
MantiBrutalis is offline   Reply With Quote