Thread: The Hunter
View Single Post
Old 02-06-23, 12:10 PM   #427
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I caved again and picked up the New England Mountains reserve DLC. I wanted to wait for a sale to feel smart, but I now had plenty of time on each reserve I do have, aside from maybe the savanna and Siberia, where I've done a few hours at least on each, but so far I prefer more of a forest and farmland sort of set up. Spending my youth hunting in northeastern Pennsylvania made me think that the New England map would be the closest match. And it is, on the southern half of the map There's a river valley that bisects the map east to west, and south of this line it feels a lot like the terrain I've hunted, Bradford and Sullivan counties in NE PA, if anyone is familiar with the region. Private land near Endless Mountains State Park, along the upper end of the Susquehanna River. Sort of sitting in the center of the Poconos and Catskills.

The land in the reserve lacks the populations, sparse as it is, and the dairy farms that dot the area. And the soil isn't full of clay haha. But otherwise it really is a close match and this is already one of my favorite reserves. The mountains as we call them in the east are really more like ridges. Rounded across the crest and running a long distance along the spine. What geologists call a dissected plateau. The way the rivers 'cut' the land looks great too, just as it was when I hunted. So this map feels like home. North of the river valley the terrain is heavier and more rugged, more like Vermont or Maine. This reserve is very good for whitetail hunting, Has quite a few class 1 small game, like 'coons, cottontails, bob-whites, ringnecks, ducks and turkey. Well, coons are class 2. Also has bobcats, coyotes, red and gray fox. Black bears and moose are the big game in the preserve. So a nice mix, and the first reserve where I feel like I want to carry a shotgun.

I caved again and bought the Duck and Cover DLC for four bucks to get the 20ga semi-auto and birdshot and slugs. I have a 12-ga over/under but not the score to unlock birdshot or slugs. Just buckshot, so it is slow going gaining that mastery. Buying Duck and Cover just gives that kit for 'free' and now I can use that 20ga for everything from rabbits, pheasant and duck to deer. Only holds 3 rounds. Must have a magazine plug dammit. They'll probably sell a DLC to give you two more shells.

This shot really feels like the region I'm talking about, maybe if those hills in the background were one contiguous thing. It's too early in the season to feel like buck season really, this is like late September judging by the foliage. But it would have been nice to hunt deer in a light jacket instead of foot-deep snow, so here I get to head out when the weather is still nice