View Single Post
Old 09-16-22, 07:10 PM   #5023
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Default Deck Guns As Antiaircraft Guns

This is most likely not a FOTRSU specific question, but I'm posting this here because I've only played FOTRSU (no vanilla SH4, no other mega mods) and know that some of the most knowledgeable SH4 folks routinely participate in this thread (lookin' at you PB). I've tried searching in this and other Sh4 related threads on my question but can't find where it is addressed. That said...

FOTRSU 1.8; started career at PH December 8, 1941; now late October 1944; sailing out of Saipan; and I've been rocking a Balao for last couple of missions. Had a 5" bow deck gun for last couple of missions, but just spent some reknown and bought myself a pair of 5" guns "front and back"...SWEET! Made necessary adjustments in upc file to get the 2nd set of gun crew members to appear correctly for the additional gun and have successfully engaged surface ships on current mission with both guns crewed and blazing away in auto fire. Their gunnery still sucks, but twice as many rounds downrange makes up for it. As expected, I can only take manual control of one of the 2 deck guns (unlike bow and stern AA guns). Just wanted to tell everyone that because it's pretty awesome.

So, here's my question...for at least the last few missions, my mission ammo loadouts have included main deck gun AA shells in addition to the regular AP and HE. That's cool, but there doesn't really seem to be any way to use them other than manually jumping into the gunner seat of the gun I can control, loading AA ammo, and trying to engage a plane myself? That seems like a total waste of time and good ammo. I can't see any way to get the crews of the main deck guns to engage aircraft...just like there is no way to get AA gun crews to engage surface targets. I realize that UBI probably just didn't think this through, but wondering why the AA ammo for deck guns if it has no practical use, or am I missing something?
SeniorCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote