View Single Post
Old 05-19-17, 12:01 PM   #79
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterstellarMarbles View Post
I'm looking to create more interior rooms for jhapprich's Project 941 Typhoon mod. After I saw what FlakMonkey did creating interiors with his NewInteriors mod I want to try my hand at creating a nice set of rooms to bring life the Typhoon. Been obsessed with it ever since I saw Red October as a kid.

I have some experience with 3ds max and I have been reading about Silent 3ditor but I am still very confused at this point.

Can someone with more experience point me to a tutorial about doing interiors? Like something from the ground up?....

Some questions to start:

1. What is the relationship between the .cam, .dat, .dsd, .sim files in the interior folder?

2. I would assume I create the interior models in 3ds max and use Silent 3ditor to put them into a SH4 format?

3. FlakMonkey's mod seemed to have the entire length of the boat rendered at once. From the stock game I assumed that every time you clicked to a new station it rendered that room and dumped the last station render....if that makes sense. For example, I am sure the game is not trying to render the sea visuals while you are in the command room, right? So I am wondering if I could use this to my advantage to model larger portions of the Typhoon (its a huge boat!), having only one major section rendered at a time? Imagine free-walking down the command room steps and then about half way you reach a click-point like clicking on the "bridge" hatch, hit that and it would load up a section of the port pressure hull and dump the command room from memory, the you continue down into the port pressure hull. A perfect example is moving around the Normandy ship in Mass Effect on Xbox if anyone is familiar with that.

4. Has anyone ever tried incorporating 3d models from 3dwarehouse or other free sites online? Not sure if that is even possible in 3ds but was hoping it might speed things along when adding details.
*.cam tells SH4 what you should see in compartment and station views.
*.dat is the model of the interior and in another folder the model of the sub
*.sim files adjust parts of the *.dat interior model like the depth ,fuel, & CO2 gauges plus other things.
*.dsd files tell the game what files to use for various sound effects like breaking glass etc
-
Export in triangles to import back to SH4 with S3D or it won't import. You may need a 3rd party program to do this.
-
Your #3 remark is correct for the most part
-
You're lucky to have 3ds Studio Max.
-
There, I've told you more than I know..... lol

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 05-19-17 at 12:33 PM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote