View Single Post
Old 01-21-11, 02:18 PM   #258
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
What happens at the moment with a torpedo locked at zero
While keltos has not yet reported results, I'm confident to a 99% that it makes the GA indicator stay fixed at the ship's bow.

Quote:
and how are you locking it
In the torpedo file, setting a maximum GA of zero

Quote:
and what do you want to use the GA indicator for?
To display the necessary lead angle, more or less as the real thing did.

If you don't start the position keeper, but enter the solution data (Range/AOB/Speed) the TDC will show the result of the problem but not update it. In the result displayed:

1.- Own course to GA pointer = GA Angle
2.- GA pointer to Line of sight = Lead Angle

Look at this:

In this image, the angle between blue arrow (Own ship course) and red arrow (Torpedo course to hit the target) is the Gyro Angle, i.e. the angle the torpedo must turn from the own ship's bow it is shot from, in order to hit the target. And, consequently, the angle between the yellow arrow (Line of sight to target) and the red arrow (Torpedo course) is the LEAD ANGLE the torpedo must have.

Now, I can paint a graded scale with zero starting at the line of sight point (Top of dial) and going +/- 180 either side on the outside of the own ship dial, and because the difference between that point and the one indicated by the GA pointer will always be the lead angle.

Thus, we can have the GA pointer indicate for us on the outside of the dial the lead angle we want, so we can turn the periscope to that angle and wait until the target crosses it to shoot. As the real british submariners did. And in the meantime, we can also use the position keeper to check the exactitude of the solution, by comparing with the target's evolution, also as the british TDC did.

The problem however is that the GA pointer will be locked at the maximum Gyro Angle of the torpedo, and that kills our idea if we lock it to zero degrees. If we leave it unlocked, the torpedo can be fired in any moment and not when the target arrives at the precise lead angle, because the GA is updated on the fly by the TDC. Thus we would no longer need to aim with the whole ship, as british submariners did, and we are screwed