View Single Post
Old 10-03-21, 03:45 PM   #97
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4H_Ccrashh View Post
I started at 250' At the end of the fight I was at 320. I was nervous as hell giving the order to go to 320. But she held together.

I lost both periscopes, damaged diesel engines, aft battery, trim pump, compressor and the entire watch crew wounded.

I'm trying to get back to Cavite at reduced speed before its closed due to enemy attacks.

No way I'm making it to Surabaya.

On an even less pleasant note the boat has no SD radar so planes can show real close not giving me much time to dive.

Did I mention my boat S-37 has no AA defenses?

Ohhhhh yea, at 320 ft in S boat you were definitely pushing it depth wise lol

Did you have hull damage?

That is quite a damage list. Ah yea, the watch crew. Legacy bug from stock, where the watch crew gets wounded when are in the deck watch slots, even if boat is submerged those in the crew slots will get wounded. That is why Ducimus (creator of TMO ) put the crew berthing slots in the subs ( I believe S Class has the crew berthing compartment?) , to move the watch guys when submerged and under attack.

Far as making it back, if you miss the chance to dock at Manilla, the base opens up at Mangarin Bay on South Western end of Mindoro Island in the Philippines not far away...when you "dock" there, can refuel, rearm if need be, and will repair your damage, except hull damage if you have it, that can only be repaired when dock at homeport.

I added the ability to "dock" there because there was a small base there in December 41 and many forces retreating from Manila gathered there as staging area before moving south to Surabaya. I add this traffic to the sim, so will likely see different types of ships departing Manila, and heading there before heading south.. US PT boats would depart there in evening, make their runs up to harass Japanese around Manila and Subic, then run back to Mangarin Bay , arriving around dawn. I added them as well and they can fire torpedoes now, so you will likely run into US PT boats en route and returning if sailing down there .

Yes, S class did not have SD radar until Spring/Summer 1942, so no radar. If I recall in TMO SD is offered in April 42. I am on my third patrol with SD radar as well, since it was new technology most boats did not have it (especially Asiatic boats) when the war started, I made it to where it is not offered until January 42 and it is quite costly until February. The boats that were sent to patrol home islands at outbreak were selected in because they were among the few who had SD radar installed already.

Yes, the S-Class had no gun platform in early part of the war, primarily because of limited deck space. They were small boats of WW I vintage, designed before aircraft were even a problem for submarines, so no AA gun.I am sure in real life they could mount .50 cal machine guns topside if needed but can't do that in the sim.

If I recall, and the refit that comes up in late 42 or into 1943 will add an extension on aft conning tower for AA gun. I can't remember if that was TMO or not, it has been a long time since ran an S boat that later in the war. I need to check on that and if not, will have to remedy for next update. Best defense against planes, much as in real life is to just dive.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote