Old 03-18-23, 10:07 AM   #7
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 0

Cel,
Quote:
In my experience very often the subs would just stay at periscope depth
yes. All too often the AI loiter at periscope depth trying to use torps.

This is problem is first encountered by new players in the Anti-Sub training (5th) scenario . In this scenario American Perch subs (NIXPerchTarget.UDF) as targets are matched against the player’s American DD (I.e Amer vs. Amer).* These subs were meant to be easy targets with limited sensor capability and no supporting Rules of Engagement (ROE) code. They actually start on the surface then dive down to Peri depth and hover there. They should have been program to dive deeper quicker. (Note You can practice shelling them while they remain on the surface or torpedoing from your DD when they submerge). The dev should have made it clearer that these sub targets are dummies and not representative of those in game.

*( There is an actual Amer. Perch or Porpoise class sub described in the sim: “NSSPerch.UDF”)

Missions built using the “Mission-builder” aren’t much better because they don’t utilize ROE statements to make the AI work. IMO These MB missions are good for practice but not representative of AI’s potential.

Quote:
Unless someone managed to improve the AI?
Yes . The game does not use all it’s coding capabilities in the default scenarios.

Two quick ways to improve the AI is to use Fletcher’s mod or Kreigstanz Developer. Both of these add general ROE statements to scenarios making the AI play better. This can be taken a step further by customizing the RoE script individually in each scenario.

I’m running out if time, Give me a few days and I post here how I think the DC AI works and a test scenario.

Last edited by Vox165; 03-18-23 at 11:40 AM.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote