View Single Post
Old 01-07-22, 04:57 AM   #12
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 363
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Disclaimer: I used to build my own rigs back in the dos through win98 days but don't know a thing about specs since then.

Looking for a moderately priced rig. Not the best, not the worst performer.
Laptop preferred. I know; but I like the flexibility it provides.

But desktop advice would be appreciated too. OS ability to run DosBox is must.

Game interests: SH series, especially 3. Maybe get back into racing/flight sims too.

Anyway, any tips appreciated !
*There has never been a worse time to buy Computer hardware with bloated pricing lack of availability and hoards of scalpers ripping of the unwary due to the silicon shortage. Prebuilds negate that problem to a degree

* Do your research then do it again building a PC if anything is much easier than of old. The Choice between Intel and AMD Based systems is much closer than it used to be. Across the whole range AMD have the edge for multi tasking they are a no brainer research that too

* Laptops offer portability but not necessarily flexibility upgrading a desktop is much easier

Quote : But desktop advice would be appreciated too. OS ability to run DosBox is must.

* Most systems come with windows 10 which will run DosBox the hardware requirements are minimal as it only needs a 1.0ghz CPU. Go for a Desktop unless its an absolute must. You may need some legacy software for DosBox but I'm not an expert on that matter you need to research it

Even budget CPUs a decent enough these days but it can be more difficult to compare with some prebuilds as they sometimes use bespoke parts.

Make sure the Graphics card dedicated or otherwise meets your requirements from what you say even a budget GPU will be enough but racing/flight sims are far more demanding check the System requirements for the things you may be interested in the future do some research

* The most important thing you need to do as you probably may guess by now is to do some research it may come and bite you in the ass if you don't. Advice on forums although well intentioned can sometimes be misleading so now you now know how to deal with that.

Simon

Intel i5 10600k OC @ 5.2GHz
Zotac RTX 3080 GPU 10GB GDDR 6 VRAM
Asus Strix Z490f Motherboard
NZXT Kraken AIO Water Cooled
32GB (4x8) HyperX Fury RGB DDR 4 RAM
EVGA 650GS 80+ Gold Power Supply ( only just Adequate need upgrade)
Samsung M.2 Nvme SSD 1 TB
Crucial M.2 Sata SSD 2 TB
HyperX 2.5" 500GB SSD
Crucial 2,5" 500GB SSD
Western Digital x2 (2TB + 3TB) HDD
Thermalake View Case
Corsair 120mm RGB Fans x 3 with Hub
Thermalake 140mm Fans x 2 Neon Blue
NZXT 120mm Fans x 2 for the radiator