View Single Post
Old 03-06-21, 07:00 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Thanks, but the Canon printers are a no go (Canon joined the anti-Linux alliance almost from beginning on), and Canon uses these infamous chip counter that make sure the device breaks down after so and so many pages printed. ---> planned obsolence.

The brother printer seems to not print colours well, and I do some photo prints occasionally. However, Brother often supports Linux as well.

The ecotank printers by Epson by idea and design are attractive, and the printing costs are unbeatable and just a tenth of that of others. they even seem to have solved the older issue of the ink drying and thus blocking the rubber pipes leading th eink from the tanks to the printer head.

However, I investigated the problem with the waste ink pads. And found it is not difficult to remove them, wash them, dry them and set them in again. BUT: Epson insists on kind of planned obsolence, or enforced leasing even although you bought and thus own the device. You need to reset the printer with a software code after the hardware wash, and that code costs money. No service is given in return for the money, it even is third party companies selling these codes for around 10 bucks or so - BUT WHAT FOR? Resetting the waste ink pad counter makes sense, but where is the service or values they give me back when I pay for that code? They effectively demand to get paid for allowing me to use my printer again after I cleaned it?

Planned obsolence, everywhere. Maybe not as bad as the Canon cheating, but still I call foul. And criminal.

If no negative reviews come in, I probaly stick with the Epson envertheless. The ink costs are hilariously low. Ink cartridges cannot compete here, its another league. Third party ink for 25 Euros gets you 14000 black-white printouts or 5000 colour printouts. Wowh.

I do not complain about the ten bucks for that resettign code, I can easily afford that. I complain about the principle idea behind it. You pay for getting nothing. Its blackmailing.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-06-21 at 07:22 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote