View Single Post
Old 05-10-20, 11:28 AM   #17
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

OK, check this out for a minute:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-TC-885-U...9122909&sr=8-7

Notice I found it by searching for "basic computer desktop".

Now, let's take a look at what you get for $400. Its pretty bare bones, the keyboard and mouse look cheap and there's a lot of info we're not seeing, like why the graphics card isn't listed (there isn't one) and what the power supply is rated to (I'm guessing its at the low end of the quality scale).

Still, you are getting:

- 9th Generation Intel Core i3 9100 Processor (Up to 4. 2GHz)
This is a nice CPU, its just a tad on the old side but it clocks at 4.2 Gigs.

-8GB DDR4 Memory, 512GB SSD & 8x DVD Writer Double Layer Drive (DVD RW)

Again, its bare bones but its not that bad. You've got a 1/2 terabyte SSD , 8 Gigs of DDR4 RAM, and they even throw in a DVD player.

What they don't talk about is the power supply, but its mostly safe to assume that you can throw a mid-range GPU/video card into the box without too many problems. You also get a licensed copy of Win 10. Since they don't say what flavor of Win 10 Home it is, assume its 32 bit.

..and you're in the hole for 400 bucks. This is a stock, low dollar system aimed at students and small business. It just needs to work, it doesn't have to look sexy.

The downside will come when you open the tower and look at the mother board. I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts its a mini (or even a micro) ATX board. It probably doesn't have any extra connections for a traditional hard drive (but its older tech so it might) and its probably glued or pop riveted to the case.
These are not "boutique" towers.

So, why would you want something like this? Its dependable. It has to be, the company would be suicidal to sell junk at this price range.
It can be tricky, but it is upgrade-able. Find a video card the power supply can run, or throw a larger power supply at it. The odds are 50/50 (IMO) there's a second RAM slot on the mother board. For a generic "gaming/home" rig you really don't need 16 gigs of RAM, but its not a big deal if you do.

You're in the hole for 400 bucks. That leaves $1600 before you get to your old $2000 plateau. That's plenty of spare change to sink into a monitor and a graphics card. And a good keyboard and mouse. And another SSD or a remote hard drive. And several cases of beer.

See where this is going? Am I saying to buy this tower? #### no, please no. But this is already a LOT cheaper than what you were looking at.

There are a LOT of good deals out there, you just have to find them.

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote