View Single Post
Old 02-07-20, 12:20 AM   #5
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but ...

I have Windows 10 on my laptop, but I use a free program called Classic Shell and a few other tricks to make it look and work just like Windows 7. If you didn't know, you'd swear I was running 7. Installation and setup is very easy - you don't have to be a computer wiz to get everything just the way you want. When I bought the laptop, I also bought a copy of Windows 7 Pro - intending to install it instead of 10. But after seeing how well Classic Shell works, I decided there was no point.

Classic Shell itself is no longer being supported, but I can confirm the last available build works with the current version of Windows 10. Also, the developer of Classic Shell released the source code and others have forked development into a similar new product called Open Shell.

If you dislike the new "apps" button and other annoying changes Windows 8 and 10 brought as much as I do - and you just want your good old start menu back - I'd highly recommend Classic Shell. I haven't tried Open Shell ... yet. But if/when Classic Shell stops working with Windows 10, I'm sure I will switch.

If anyone here does try Open Shell, please PM me and let me know what you think of it. If it's as good as Classic, maybe I'll go ahead and switch.

Anyway, this is my desktop right now: