View Single Post
Old 09-14-21, 11:33 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

I am not certain as to what your problem is. From what I am understanding though, you game is not displaying correctly? There are several things to keep in mind with a Silent Hunter install. Number one is that the game, being an old DirectX v9.0c game, is not compliant with the Windows post-Vista interface, and therefore cannot be installed in a "Program Files" folder. Instead, you should create your own folder to install the game into, such as "Games", and then Windows will not interfere with any modding you might do to the game.

Next would be that once you have the game installed, you should right-click on the SH4.exe file in the game install folder, choose "Properties" from the context menu, and on the first "General" page, make certain that the "Read-only" attribute is cleared, such that the tick box for that is empty. After that, click on the "Compatibility" tab and tick the "Run this program in compatibility mode for --> Windows 7", "Disable fullscreen optimizations", and then click on the "Change high DPI settings" button. By the way, this is a Windows 10 example. If you have Windows 7, let us know... Anyway, on the resulting window from the High DPI button, you will have to experiment, but you almost always have to use the "Override high DPI behavior" section, and set it to "Application". If you have to use the "Program DPI" at the top of that page, then set it to "When I open this application", so that it does not mess with the rest of your Windows settings. On the first page, you might have to use the "Run this program as an administrator. Several of these settings depend upon your Windows set-up and how your UAC (User Access Control) is set. There are a few differences between Window 10 and 7 in this regard, but mostly in the High DPI settings stuff...

this is from one of my computers. All three machines that I have, have different settings on them. One is an SLI vid set-up, another is an nVidia GTX 560Ti, and another is onboard Intel graphics...

Inside the game itself, under the Options menu is the Graphic Settings menu, and you choose your video display in there. You should have your display monitor set to its native resolution, which Windows will list as "recommended", and have the video card and windows set to that also. The game should have a listing for most sizes available, but you might have to scroll through the list to find one. If you cannot find an exact listing, choose one that is close, or if you are trying to do 4k, you might have to choose an even divisible of the resolution, such as 1920x1080 or some such. It all depends upon your computer. If I am not understanding your question correctly, please post back with another description, or maybe more information about your issue...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote