View Single Post
Old 05-23-22, 04:05 AM   #1
Sammy-rai
Seaman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo Attack vs IJN Subs at Night

Here is a video of my Gato-class sub attacking and fatally damaging an IJN midget submarine. The USS Silversides also torpedoed (and eventually sank with a 2nd torpedo - not shown) the midget's larger consort, an IJN Jyunsen Type 1 submarine.

It's been awhile since I last played SH4 so I was a little rusty and at first couldn't get a lock on the targets, which in turn prevented measuring the range using the stadimeter. So you can see in the video that instead of the torpedoes being fired from a relative 345 degree bearing as I had planned, they were fired late from around 20-30 degrees. Also, I was unaware that the lead ship was a midget sub until after I had l already launched a torpedo towards it. And then I got lucky, since the midget sub began an evasive turn which led it right back into the torpedo's path..

As far as I knew it was not possible to sink a midget sub in SH4 so this was a big thrill for me. I'm playing with the FOTRS mod so maybe one of their modders made the midget submarine vulnerable to attacks. If so, thanx.

Note: because the engagement occurred around midnight, the original video was too dark for clear viewing. So I found a free video editor on the net and used it to brighten the video. I then became interested in the video editor's other features and played with them, producing a 'real' video, using bells and whistles the editor offered. So maybe the result is a little over-the-top but making it was fun. Took about 5 hours. If there is a next time it will probably take about 2.

Sammy-rai is offline   Reply With Quote