View Single Post
Old 04-27-12, 12:10 PM   #75
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xajorkit View Post

(That's my very first post on subsim after reading it for many years... nice to meet you guys...)
Welcome to subsim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanaiba View Post
I would contest the success of Warbirds and Aces High but then again, if they survived as long as they did, works for me But you have to remember that in both games you would pay a monthly fee in order to play!

BTW, COD is not the first game to have XP, levels and unlocks. The thing about unlocks is that they actually serves to gradually introduce features to the player without overwhelming him from the start. Would a game work without them? Sure.

I did work on SHO as a consultant for a couple of months before leaving Ubi. It has some potential. Will it replace SH3/4/5? Negative, I don't think it will, its a different game with a sliglty different target. But they do want to get the Subsim guys to like it, they're very careful about it.

If it turned out anything like what was on paper when I left, it should have some interesting tricks up its sleeve, things that you've never been able to do in the SH series before.

Its free, may be worth a try, right?

Dan
- Never had any experience with War Birds, but I played AH extensively while they had their free lobbies up. Great game and great atmosphere. Was fun because you weren't hamstrung to other players in "better" planes. Skill was all that mattered.

I've also never had as much fun since, then when I used to squad up with 3 other random guys with mics and play wingman. Chasing down unsuspecting guys with your wingman was fun!

- The main point that I see to argue against the whole "gradual increase in features" point that you make is this. Let's be serious, and I in no way mean to disrespect people playing COD, but really? How can someone who plays something like a subsim be put on the same level as a COD player?

The vast majority of players, that I know at least, revel in the difficulty of dealing with the multiple intricacies and difficulties of operating and commanding a WW2 submarine in combat. If we wanted dumbed down, simplified gameplay, we'd go play COD. I'll be the first to admit that some days I do absolutely love hopping into COD and just having a good time. However, when I come to play a subsim, I expect a fun yet demanding experience. Part of the fun, for me at least, is multi-tasking and seeing a whole plan sink or swim.

Quote:
I did work on SHO as a consultant for a couple of months before leaving Ubi. It has some potential. Will it replace SH3/4/5? Negative, I don't think it will, its a different game with a sliglty different target. But they do want to get the Subsim guys to like it, they're very careful about it.

If it turned out anything like what was on paper when I left, it should have some interesting tricks up its sleeve, things that you've never been able to do in the SH series before.
If you've consulted with the game in the past, can you please explain to me. How the hell does Ubi expect this community to respect anything that they shove down our throats anymore? Are they so deluded and secluded from their player base that they actually think the franchise is salvageable? Are you in fact the only Ubi/SH developer to actually get in touch with this community? And if not, why do they so blatantly ignore all of the input we've desperately been trying to give them? It just boggles my mind that they can expect this community to stand by their product after so many failures in the past.

On the point of this game having "tricks up its sleeve", maybe it's just the cynic in me, but I highly doubt that these will: a) be free, and b) be functional on release, and probably after the first (most likely late..) patch. It'd probably be up to this community (again probably why they want us to like it, so that modders like TDW would cover their rears) to fix the broken product, which, in the face of it being browser based, would be impossible.

I apologize if I give you the wrong impression of me, I really do hope that there is a next great subsim to come, maybe you're even the one to lead the team that delivers it. From what I've read and heard of you you're a great guy, but at this point, the long and steady decline of Ubi in this community's eyes means that, in my opinion at least, the next great, or even mediocre subsim, is not going to come from Ubisoft.

Thanks for your time,

Krauter.