View Single Post
Old 03-01-23, 04:06 AM   #21
Hooston
Soundman

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

i think we're getting to the root of it. We're a long way from the book being too dark .

If you play 100% realism NYGM you tend to do everyone else's job. i think some real uboat Kaleuns actually did operate in this way , but a better skipper would make better use of his crew (e.g. Morton and O'Kane).
Unfortunately SH3 is not great at simulating the activities of the rest of the crew, they tend to have superhuman abilities but no initiative. If allowed they will generate a plot so good you don't actually need to look through the periscope or UZO. They know every ship on the ocean. They will not warn you about a destroyer 1001m away if there is a merchant at 1000m.

As the automation is a bit "gamey" (a trap that SH5 and uboat fell into IMHO) looks like "100% realism", minimum use of complicated toys like the stadimeter and autocratic management style is your best bet. i think I'm going further down that route in future, but I'm going to have to invest in a PC that can handle enhanced graphics mods at more than 5fps...
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote