View Single Post
Old 01-13-22, 08:41 PM   #4251
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig View Post
Ok good to know. I have steam installed on a 2nd drive already so no worries there.

I've read on the steam SH4 review section getting SH4 to run on windows 10 is a painful mission, is this true?
All of the "old" stuff has issues with the 'modern' Windows and 'modern' video stream. The main problem is Windows and the card attempting to interfere with the game's video, in a vain attempt to make a DirectX v9 game "look better", like can be done with the modern krapp. You need to step into the fray and prevent Windows from interfering ( ). First, you should have your video set the same way through, from the "Native" resolution of your display monitor, to the display Windows driver, where that resolution will show as "... (recommended)", and then hopefully find the same resolution in the game, or a multiple of the ratio.

This image is from one of my computers. A partial image of my File Manager is the background, showing the Game folder, with the SH4.exe selected. Right-click on the SH4.exe and then left-click on "Properties" at the bottom of the resultant context menu. That will open the Properties dialog to the "General" tab, where you can clear the "Read-only" tick box if necessary, on that page. Most of what you will want is on the "Compatibility" tab, which is what is displayed here. That top "SH4.exe Properties" window is what you get if you click on the "Change high DPI settings" button on the main window.

The main settings there are the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" (all of my computers), possibly the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" set to Windows 7 (sometimes - 2 of 4 computers here), "Run this program as administrator" (if the UAC is set 'high' - 2 others of four), and the previously mentioned "Change high DPI settings" button. Once on that upper properties page, you usually can get by with ticking the "Override high DPI scaling..." and setting that to "Application" in the drop-down (all of my computers). On one of my computers, I have had to use the tick box under "Program DPI" up top there, and then "Use this setting to fix scaling problems...", which activates the drop-down box in the middle there for "Use the DPI that's set...", and set that to "I open this program". Hopefully, that is enough to be certain of SH4 starting in Windows 10.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote