View Single Post
Old 01-13-22, 04:05 PM   #4248
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig View Post
Is this mod compatible with the steam version of SH4?

It's been a few years since i've played and fancy diving back in but i've lost my physical copy.
Yes, it is compatible with the Steam version. However, as with all versions of Silent Hunter 3 & 4, no matter the publisher, with SH4 being installed in the 'modern' Windows, you cannot allow it to use its default install of Program Files. For a Steam install, that would involve a slightly different Steam Library path, in that Steam wants to install in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ Steam..." which results in the game having a path of "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Uboat AddOn Missions" (or whatever the name is). You also want to be certain you mod the correct copy of SH4, since you do need to use the Uboat Missions version of theirs.

When doing the install, you will be asked for the path where you would like the game. If you have no other Steam games, you can tell it to install in a folder you created. As an example, "C:\Games". Point the installer at that folder, and you then have SH4 being installed in "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \ Silent Hunter..." Steam will still end up in the Program Files folder, but your Library folder is now in Games. For more info, consult the Steam Knowledgebase article "Moving a Steam Installation and Games, and if you are feeling adventurous and have other Steam games installed already, you can try kacpro090's trick in Preparing SH4 for modifications. I have not tried that out yet myself, but I do have the perfect machine to try it on one of these days, to see how it goes. A computer with 2 valid hard drives alleviates most of the difficult issues, since you can create a new Steam Library folder without issue - generally. You cannot use an image drive though, that the computer manufacturer set for restoring Windows from...

... and goldmatersims beat me to the punch! lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote