View Single Post
Old 01-09-21, 01:09 PM   #8
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
The degrees in the horizontal were to be able to eyeball spread angles quickly.

Earlier attack scope models had the RAOBF rings around the ocular, but if you look at pictures of the fixed-eye attack scope (C/2), those rings don’t exist. What you have to understand about the RAOBF when it was implemented in the earlier scopes is that it was integrated with the stadimeter, such that when you turned the prisms, the rings turned automatically. So it was all one unit. After measuring the range vertically, the prisms were turned 90° and the same thing was done with the target length, and you had range and angle on bow as outputs on the rings. Both however being dependent on accurate target height and length, both of which cannot be (and weren’t) relied on in wartime.

Those scales with the tens are indeed in centiradians. Now, that’s a good question, that may in fact be a reticle of an early scope model. As for the attack scope one that I mentioned (C/2, the most common wartime one), I know that one for sure since I have access to the service manual for that periscope. The only doohickey it had on it was a true bearing counter. But overall, the tactical advantage of being able to raise and lower the scope by way of a lever while sitting in one spot was huge, because the skipper could keep the head of the scope right at the waterline at all times. So it was definitely a trade off, in more ways than just optical quality, I can’t quite remember all of the others.

The hitman optics I’m referring to though are the ones in his GUI, not his plain optics mod, which is what the above I think is from.
I believe the word was actually "doohickeyachnachsingzig"