View Single Post
Old 01-09-21, 11:53 AM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikdunaev View Post

Does that mean features like speed computation are entirely fictitious?...
This particular statement: Yes, the speed computation is fictitious. I just came up with the idea of abusing the scales for that computation while OneLifeCrissis was making his GUI. I worked out the magic number for getting the calculation to work on the scales. And asked him to include a scratch mark on it as if it was carved in by the commander with a knife. Since then this was copied in pretty much every mod, and for different games, that included the RAOBF function.

As for centi- or mili-radians, this is not limited to the metric system! This applies equally well to the imperial system. It is just that in the imperial system height is usually measured in feet, and length or distance in yards. So you need to include a conversion factor of 3 in it. Or start measuring height in yards as well. Considering 2000 yards is close to 1 nautical mile (good enough for government work) this is not such a bad idea.

Essentially, centi-radians (or milliradians) means you are talking about a slope of 1 over 100 distance (respectively 1 over 1000 distance). So if something is 3 milliradians then it is 3 yards (or 9 feet) high at 1000 yards distance. Similarly, if it is actually 27 yards high, you are 9000 yards distant from it.
The same can be done in metric as long as you maintain the same system for both height and distance. 30 meters high over 2000 yards does not result in 15 milliradians. (though you will be close to within 10% error. ballpark quality)

Last edited by Pisces; 01-09-21 at 01:15 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote