View Single Post
Old 01-08-21, 06:09 PM   #3
Nikdunaev
Sailor man

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
Real ones were in milliradians on the vertical, degrees on the horizontal. Both attack scope (at least the C/2 Stand-Sehrohr, the one you sit at and operate with pedals in the tower) and the control room “observation” scope were 1.5x and 6x. The sight picture through the attack scope can be seen here, drawing 17:

http://www.tvre.org/en/aiming-with-the-periscope

Hitman’s optics are imo the best representation of historical scopes.

Additionally, that scope model (C/2) did not have a stadimeter or RAOBF, 2 features present in earlier attack scope models but which were dropped in favor of better optical quality. Mostly data was gathered on the surface (by matching or rough plotting), and range was largely irrelevant due to the fact they shot at low gyro angles.
Thank you for your reply! That is a lot of interesting information!

What is the use of having the horizontal scale in degrees?

Also I kinda understand the case against the stadimeter... But the RAOBF ring was just sitting around the eyepiece, right? What does that have to do with optical quality?

I remember seeing the kinds of scopes, like the ones shown in the article, in one of the mod packs, for Silent Hunter V.
Just curious, is there an actual photo showing the view?

Though I was originally referring to the ones that look more like what we have in stock Silent Hunter and Wolfpack, this kind:

Is that a different model or manufacturer? Perhaps, an earlier-war or pre-war version?

Do those scales look like centiradians? I am not too sure... Notice the lack of degree signes next to the numbers. Unlike what was shown in the drawings.

Hitman's mod, from what screenshots I found, uses both types. The night scope is similar to the article drawings, and, at the same time, the attack scope is similar to the photo.

Nikdunaev is offline   Reply With Quote