View Single Post
Old 01-03-22, 03:58 AM   #2
Schiffmorder
Sailor man

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

In the context of the submarine services of any country I can think of, that is correct. Their only shot at a ship command again would be a transfer to the surface navy where you find Captains in charge of cruisers and up. I do 'think' I can recall an instance of a full blown Captain being sent out in charge of a US wolfpack but I do not believe he also commanded the sub he rode. Typically WP command fell to the senior sub captain.

Even full Commanders are really senior in the WW2 US sub service and would be subject to finding themselves beached as Flotilla XO or a staff appointment somewhere. Such appointments could be to an Admirals staff, a flotilla staff, or into the naval bureaucracy in the states (BuShips, BuWeps, etc) or various liaison postings with the Army or an allied country.

It's even worse (from ship command standpoint) in the German and British navies of WW2 where your typical sub captain was a Lieutenant when first appointed.

There were two reasons for this. First with more rank is supposed to come more responsibility and subs of the time only had 30ish to 70ish crew depending on the country.
Secondly command in the submarine service was hellishly stressful and very much a younger mans game for the captains.
Schiffmorder is offline   Reply With Quote