Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
TorpX, one thing I've always wondered about;

StormConditions=9,0.1;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]

I note in his the number is changed;

StormConditions=7,0.1;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]

What exactly does that affect?
I think it mainly is a matter of the crew putting on their foul weather gear; beyond that, I'm not sure. I don't know if it prevents use of deck gun. I never try to use it if seas are rough.

I did a quick test of the Gato with decks awash (using ISP, of course).
I wanted to try several depths, but the game boat doesn't want to settle on any depth between 22 and 28 ft. There are obviously a lot of mechanics coded in the game that we can't reach.
Anyway, at 22 ft., I was able to reach 10.0 knots, at crew Efficiency of 100 (8.2 kn. at ~ 75). This was in a very calm sea. The deck is not actually awash; maybe 2 ft. is above water.
At 28 ft., 7.8 kn., and a maximum of 9.2 kn. @ Ef 100. The deck is fully submerged, and crew is below. I don't see this as being very practical, but maybe you can get by with this. This is really deeper than I wanted.
Fully surfaced, at 17 ft., I reached 21.5 kn. @ Ef 100, or 19.5 kn. @ Ef 67.
To double check, I went back to 22 ft. and reached 9.8 kn. @ Ef 100.
For whatever reason, at 'decks awash' max. speed didn't seem to change from standard to flank; at least not that I could tell. Perhaps the drag just makes the increase too small to observe.
I wanted to try 24 or 25 ft., but the crew doesn't cooperate. In any case, I consider the above results reasonable.
If anyone is having trouble getting good speed at decks awash check these things:
With ISP, you must have the crew efficiency at 100, or at least high. Ordinarily, this means going to GQ.
What is your exact depth? The deeper you are, the slower you go.
Make sure you are not charging batteries.
Sea-state is still a factor, though you will probably not loose too much speed, since you are mostly submerged already.
I agree with Sniper about the way the game handles the matter. It looks at the max. surface speed, the max. submerged speed, and your present depth to calculate the instantaneous drag. You do not have to be fully submerged to be slowed. [This is easily seen when we dive; we start slowing down long before the boat is fully submerged.] Whether this is a simple linear interpolation, or something more complicated, I don't know. I don't believe the game takes any factors, like the bow wave into account.

Last edited by TorpX; 03-28-15 at 11:22 PM. Reason: readability/spacing
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote