View Single Post
Old 03-26-22, 11:08 PM   #4480
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Back into SH4 after a couple of years hiatus. This time I decided to go with the FotRSU mod. Previously, I was an avid fan of the Trigger Maru mod.

Anyhow, reinstallation went just fine into a C:/Steam installation (no /Program Files/ in the path obviously, clean install, clean new save folder. Large Address Aware setup, JSGME implemented okay.

only 3 Mods installed in this order:

Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate v1.7p
RWR_APR patch
Bigger Better Protractors

I generally like to play with almost all realism difficulties enabled except I enable map updates and stabilize view.

Some minor observations after a couple weeks of playing.

1. Even though Duds are enabled, I don't seem to get any at all... Zero, Zilch... Now of course, I know to offset the impact angle to reduce the chance of Duds, but there should still be a few random duds regardless when Duds are enabled... increases the immersion.

2. Weather and Sea state stay relatively the same for weeks play on end and no matter where you may transit to even if its another thousand miles away.

3. Sunrise, Sunset in FotRSU is totally screwed up. Doesn't affect the individual actions per se. BUT when the difference is sometimes over an hour or two just in a day's time something is obviously amiss.

For example: This affects timing when penetrating some harbors and you may be waiting for sunset to slip in closer and you find that the day before's sunset was 1000, so you wait for approx. 1000 to make your move and you wait and you wait and maybe sometime anywhere between 20 minutes to 2 hours later you might get a sunset.

Another example: I had to go back to a savegame which I had saved (by habit) as... "!942 03 10 1105 Sunrise" deliberately so as to have a reference to the exact time that the nav screen changed from dull pink to bright blue.

Less than an hour later, I had a Sunset occur... "1942 03 10 1201 Sunset" to be exact.

These LARGE Sunrise/Sunset discrepancies did not occur with the base game or with the TMO mod, so it pretty much narrows it down to FotRSU.

I'm having fun with FotRSU, but the above are some small annoyances that could stand some tweaking.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote