View Single Post
Old 11-19-19, 08:07 PM   #101
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
1. There is a typo on the map used for the Solomon Campaign narrative I got when completing a patrol out of Midway on 11/13/1942. The map shows "The Spot" WNW of Savo Island; I'm betting that should read "The Slot".
Where are you seeing that typo? On the NavMap? In the text box? In a bik movie the game plays? Here is a screenie of the "Campaign_NMS.mis" file that displays most of the location names:

I don't like that font, and the plan is to eventually change it...

Quote:
2. This may not be a bug, but it is frustrating; I was under the impression that the surface SJ radar would be available mid-1942. After six successful patrols (including the first one) my GAR class still has not been offered this radar as of November 1942. I'd sure like to get it!
As merc4ulfate mentions, places other than Pearl are lower in the pecking order, with Fremantle being the last to get anything. The "Submarine Equipment Upgrades.pdf" file states that you will not receive it before June 1st, 1942, no matter what boat you're driving. Midway, it might be August or so, maybe July. If you transferred from Brisbane prior to your last patrol, it might be that you'll be stuck with a Brisbane date...

Quote:
3. Also not a bug, per se, but something that was "fixed" in a TMO Mod, or perhaps one of Webster's, is the link in the Office to the Sub model still takes you to the crew display. It should take one direct to the Equipment display, should it not? It's only one more click by going through the crew display to get to the Equipment, but still...
Purposeful, to take you to the most important page. Don't forget to move your Damage Control Team to the guns... else you might find that when you order "Blow the tanks! Battle Stations, Guns!" you pop to the surface and no one is at the guns... Ooops!...

Quote:
Otherwise, I agree the Japanese warships are more aggressive this early in the war, but not too hard to evade if your tactics are sound and you have enough water under the keel. I did take a torpedo in the bow from a light cruiser that gave me 45% damage. I forgot about those little devils. I'm liking this version a lot.
The torpedoes come at you if your scope is kept up long enough for guns to be shot at you, and if your boat is within range. As soon as you see small-arms fire, you know they see you, and it is possibly already too late - you might have one on the way... "Crash Dive!" fast. If you know where a torpedo is coming from, turn either toward or away from it, which ever is fastest, to comb the wake. If you have time, you could use the Sonar Station to find it... which is quite scary... Better still is little peeks, get the scope down. Do your calculating. Scope up, shoot two fast. Scope down, do more calculating, etc... You could compare the timing of the medium-sized gun turrets rotation to your location, as to how long it takes them to aim and fire a torpedo... It should take longer, and maybe we'll look into that aspect later, but for now, it is what it is.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote