View Single Post
Old 09-23-21, 11:26 PM   #5100
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Hursh View Post
This is a old and short story but I just saw this thread and thought you guys might find it funny.

I was traversing the Sulu Sea in command of the USS S-27, fresh from my lackluster attempt to intercept a Japanese invasion force. As per usual, as I do not trust my officers to plot a course, I plotted a wonderfully efficient course through the Sulu and Celebes Sea in order to reach the new base in Java. Speaking of Java I grabbed myself a cup of coffee and was proceeding to take over in the control room when suddenly my XO alerts me that the boat was in shallow waters, odd considering we were in the middle of the Sulu Sea.

Thinking that he had had a mental breakdown I went up to the bridge to look for myself but before I could ascend the first rung there was a crash. Coming to on the port side of the control room I managed to pick my way over the bodies of my gallant crew and out of the hatch to the bridge where I unceremoniously rolled out and onto the hard sandy ground of a small island no larger than the boat itself. Speaking of the boat, the poor S-27 was halfway up on the island rolled onto her port side with a fire emitting from her propellers, as we all know propellers are quite flammable.

My gallant crew did not survive the encounter and I was presumed KIA as well but luckily I escaped to report that the Japanese were dropping islands in the middle of the sea.

THE END???????
--------------------------------------
All joking aside this was probably the funniest thing that has ever happed to my years of playing both SH3 and SH4. I somehow managed the plot my course to go over the only island in the middle of the sea, and not having my glasses at the time didn't help so I didn't even see the little X for the island when zoomed out. I should add that this is not the only loss of the S-27 under my command though the other more recent story I might tell another time.

Hope you guys enjoyed the hilariously short adventures of Lieutenant Commander Robert Dunne III the most unaware captain in all the silent service!
lol yes, have to be careful, some islands only show up if zoomed in. When I first started running SH 4 way back had it happen and learned. Last time did this was when first started running TMO with the nav map makeover mod, which I believe added some small islands in the Borneo, Singapore, Java Sea areas. I was cruising along at night and time compression dropped . I went to bridge and in darkness could see something, I surmised land so went back emergency, still ran aground but was able to back off thanks to the reduced speed at impact. Little tiny island in the Karimata Straits area.

Thing is this happened more than a few times in WW II to US subs, S-39 comes to mind. Then you have the Darter which run aground on bombay shoals in South China Sea in October 44 while pursuing a damaged heavy cruiser, she was stuck and had to be abandoned, scuttled.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote