Old 03-05-22, 06:01 PM   #44
EddieLyons
Watch

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0
Default War Patrol Day 3

11 Dec 1941 00:10
War Patrol Day 3.
I ordered a dive to periscope depth at 01:00 to conduct a hydrophone sweep, at 17°42’ N, 120°13’ E. This proved negative. Upon surfacing, I will change course to NW.

02:10
I again ordered a dive to periscope depth at 02:00 for a hydrophone sweep. Negative again. Upon surfacing, I’ll continue to NW until the next check.

03:10
17°56’ N, 119°59’E. Ordered periscope depth at 03:05 for another hydrophone sweep. Still negative. If they are retiring, are they heading north towards Formosa, or west towards Hainan? Either way, they should still have been within hydrophone range. Just how fast are their transports?

03:20
I ordered the boat to surface at 03:16, ahead full, returning to course. If our next hydrophone check is negative, I shall continue into the Luzon Strait, making best speed on the surface. We shall dive at dawn, conserving batteries to the maximum. My aim will be to loiter to the north of the Babuyan Islands in the hope of interdicting any shipping crossing from Formosa to the invasion beaches and back.

04:15
I ordered periscope depth at 04:10. Hydrophone again shows no contacts. It certainly looks like we’ve lost an entire convoy! When we surface, I shall pursue the Luzon Strait option.

05:10
18°15’ N, 119°59’ E. Dawn is approaching, and we have changed course to 037°. I anticipate a significant enemy aerial presence by day, so I will be ordering us under before the sky gets much brighter.

05:45
I ordered a dive to 150 ft at 05:35, a little after sunrise, at 18°19’ N, 120°01’ E, ahead one third once we reached our depth. An immediate hydrophone sweep revealed no contacts.

16:24
It is just after sunset on the surface, so I have ordered periscope depth. No sound contacts all day long.

16:49
Hydrophone and periscope sweeps show all clear. We surface at 17:00. Battery reserves are good at 71%.

17:05
We surfaced at 17:00, ahead standard, course 037°.

18:05
We have received a signal from COMSUBPAC: We are now at war with Germany and Italy, as well as Japan. So now we are in a two-ocean war! Good news is that the marines on Wake Island have defeated a Japanese invasion attempt! That raised a hearty cheer from my crew when I read it to them over the intercom.

20:00
I have ordered a dive to periscope depth to conduct a hydrophone sweep, at ahead one third. I have a standing order for this every three hours. I’ll be able to grab some much needed shut eye in between dives.

20:15
The hydrophone search proved negative, so we are back on the surface, ahead standard, still on course 037°. Our next dive will be at 23:00.

23:00
19°21’ N, 120°47’ E. The Moon has just risen, and I have ordered our next dive for a hydrophone sweep. Ahead one third once we are at depth.

23:15
Hydrophone sweep was again clear. We have surfaced, ahead standard, maintaining the same course. In about three hours we will change course onto the first leg of our patrol in Luzon Strait.
EddieLyons is offline   Reply With Quote